2.2.10

Notebook 18 Pg 135

The Notes

  • I don't give a monkey two hoots
  • Coincidence is just the Gods way of making an anonymous donation
  • Beautiful meal ; nice to have all trimmings but useless if it's cold. Better plain but hot
  • MASHOR - Scholarly majority
  • 14 One 
  • Guide Loops not guidelines
  • Wellington Head
  • Citizen Can
  • May Sarton wanna be like you
  • Pursuit of happiness
  • There's a crock at the end of this rainbow and inside it there is a note that says...
  • Fedafy, Sabrina, Nathane, Fat Paul and Snatch

The Commentary

'I don't give a monkey two hoots!'
My little brother heard a Cleaner at his job say this and we agree it is a brilliant portmanteu word  - phrase for when not giving two hoots or a monkeys is just not enough.


Coincidence is just the gods' way of making an anonymous donation - Lawrence Block
Lawrence Block writes sparse hard-boiled detective novels set in NYC. I recommend  them for a few hours escaping to the mean streets of Manhattan, for all my nickel and dime opinion is worth.

Beautiful meal; nice to have all trimmings but useless if it's cold. Better plain but hot
Not quite sure where I might have been going with this, assuming it is a metaphor of some kind, otherwise it goes straight on top of the leaning tower of obvious.

MASHOR - Scholarly majority
Four entries in and already I've hit nonsense. A Google search just returned a page that just said 'are you drunk?' I found people called Mashor on Facebook none of whom I've met. They do not seem to be related and are thus unlikely to be forming a 'scholarly majority' whatever that is.  

14 One 
I sometimes think my gravestone should simply bear the inscription WTF

Guide Loops not guidelines
This kind of makes sense as long as you rush past it in a speeding vehicle and don't subject it to any kind of analysis what so ever.

Wellington Head
I presume a pub as can't think the victor of Waterloo was very interesting without his head attached.

Citizen Can
Combining classic cinema with calls to active citizenship in one easily forgotten campaign

May Sarton wanna be like you
On first reading this back I thought I had lost all sense of plot until I did some searching and remembered / found that May Sarton is the name of a great poet and sage. I kick myself for having dared forget how clever she was and I urge you not to do the same.
Thank you for helping me re-find her.

Pursuit of happiness
Always strikes a chord that this is such an important and useful dictum for citizens of the USA. They are supposed to strive to be happy. In the UK it would be rewritten in the knowledge that a cynic is just a realist talking to an idealist' so it would be
'You have the right to pursue some small comforts but don't go expecting them to extend much beyond a cup of tea, some biscuits and five minutes with your feet up or you will only setting yourself up for disappointment'.

There's a crock at the end of this rainbow and inside it there is a note that says...
'there is a crock just at the end of the next rainbow...'
Apparently geneticists and evolutionary psychologists agree that having our brains hard-wired to perpetually chase rainbows without ever being truly satisfied is what gets us all up in the morning.
So the bad news is that vague sense of perpetual ill ease you have ain't going any where soon. The good news is that vague sense of perpetual ill ease is supposed to be there.
Welcome to the pit of my stomach unsquashable dread please feel free to occupy the back of my mind forever.


Fedafy, Sabrina, Nathane, Fat Paul and Snatch
Oh I remember them all like it was yesterday - if yesterday had consisted of being repeatedly thwacked on the head with a four-by-two whilst being forced fed horse tranquilisers by Derren Brown and Paul Mackena.
I can only assume that Fedafy (a mix of Gadhafi, Federa and falafel), Sabrina, Nathane, Fat Paul and Snatch were a product of my imagination, playfully summoned for a story only to die at the hands of my ADHDed gnat of an attention span. Sorry guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment