26.1.10

Notebook 07 Pg 72

-The Notebook-

  • Harry Bees
  • The bald headed man at the back of the Clapham omnibus.
  • 'Only the true good can be truly free as only they know the price':  Milton
  • Intelligence Conceptual definition: The ability to profit from experience, Pragmatic definition: That which intelligence test measures
  • 'I must create my own system or be enslaved by another man'   William Blake
  • My apartment is right on the corner of Crap and West 50 shit Street
  • Palliative care; Advanced illness from which there is no recovery                                                  'The traditional route is to chuck morphine at them and throw a nun their way'.
  • Thistles, nettles, brambles and thin trousers.
  • Capering appears to have pranced quietly into the shadows as a Human activity.

-The Commentary-

Harry Bees
Harry bees if you are reading this I am so sorry but I have no idea who you are.
I am pretty sure this is probably meant to say Harry Beck whose iconic work almost everyone in the world is aware of, especially Londoners who walk past him everyday. He designed the Tube map. 

The bald headed man at the back of the Clapham omnibus

Apparently this was the full original saying. It has now been reduced (if used at all) to just 'the Man on the Clapham omnibus' as a way of saying Jo(e) average.

'Only the true good can be truly free as only they know the price'

                                                                                                 Milton
Ah Vincent, Vincent, Vincent how many times must we remind our-self that a halo is only ever six inches from being a noose?

Intelligence
Conceptual definition: The ability to profit from experience

Pragmatic definition: That which intelligence test measures
It came as a bit of a shock to find that the only way we practically define someone's 'intelligence' is by the results we get after they have taken an intelligence test, which  have been developed because we have no actual way of genuinely measuring intelligence!
I know this can be a bit hard to get your head around, the best explanation I can think of is a remark I overheard a military strategist once use in regard to the UK's role during its final year in Iraq, he said "the last thing we want is a cooks and guards scenario which he went on to explain as 'where you end up with an outpost in which the only the guards and cooks remain and guards are only there to guard the cooks and the cooks are only there to cook for the guards.
In the same way our intelligence is measured by our taking tests which have been designed purely as a way of measuring our ability to take intelligence tests. 

I must create my own system or be enslaved by another man

                                                                            William Blake

Bless William Blake wandering around the filthy, miserable ricket-rampant syphilis strewn streets of old London Town and seeing Eden there in. I have indeed created my own system over the course of twenty five years called Humanichs and would love to share it with you but I think I should ease you in gently, so we shall wait for another day, well it will take more than a day or days or weeks, months...exactly how long can you spare?

My apartment is right on the corner of Crap and West 50 shit Street

Guessing I was in what one would call a bit of a mood when I wrote this.
 
Palliative care; Advanced illness from which there is no recovery
'Traditional route is to chuck morphine at them and throw a nun their way.'

A very interesting programme on palliative care produced the above quote from this person who was the embodiment of someone employing both wisdom and compassion beautifully.

Thistles, nettles, brambles and thin trousers.

Obviously a bad mix, less obvious is why I felt it needed to be written down? Perhaps I feared my descendant's tragically ending their lives entangled in a blackberry bush crying 'Why oh why weren't we warned?' 


Capering appears to have pranced quietly into the shadows as a Human activity
Be honest I bet you haven't capered for at least ten years have you? See, you are partially to blame for its downfall. Type capering into Google and not one singe picture of anyone doing it will come up.
This is disgraceful. Get in touch and let's set up a group to bring much needed capering back into the world. I even have a modern name for it: 'outside caperers'

No comments:

Post a Comment