13.2.10

Notebook 11 Pg 172 et al

The Notes
  • Envy is the basis of democracy
  • In Arabic the word atheism translates to 'ilhad' which also means heresy
  • First comes the rule, then come the exception, then the exception becomes the rule
  • Tribbing idiot
  • Porlockin hordes
  • Our collective maturation awaits us
  • Vatican concepts of law describe the way things would be if men were angels
  • How is it that the simple act of watching a homeless man brush his hair cause me such an aching heart?
  • Squirrel fishing - using a walnut on a string
The Commentary

Envy is the basis of democracy 
One of those statements that means so much more if you chew on it for a bit.
It was said by Bertrand Russell in his book The Conquest of Happiness which like all Bertie's books I'd urge you to consume not only for his smarts but his writing is peppered with an outstanding dry wit. For example; when asked aged around 80 why he hadn't written his biography he said 'well my life isn't over yet and who's to say what will happen? I may become President of Mexico and  people would find it strange I'd neglected to mention it.'

In Arabic the word atheism translates to 'ilhad' which also means heresy
I've always thought this may go some way to providing an insight into some of the more inflammatory lack of understanding between Islamic and Western thought. But hey what do I know?

First comes the rule, then come the exception, then the exception becomes the rule
As a random example of this watch any British sit-com and see how many unsympathetic characters now deliver lines with the same 1000 yard un-self-aware stare of David Brent.

Tribbing idiot
I'm always fond of un-rude rude swears.

Porlockin hordes
I have found that vast swathes of these irritants can reach every corner of the planet.
It is all but guaranteed that no sooner have I arrived in some extremely remote spot for a brief moment of contemplative solitude then I will hear a blithely chaffing kagool.

Our collective maturation awaits us 
Maybe it does. This may have been improved had I mentioned how, when or where it would happen.

Vatican concepts of law describe the way things would be if men were angels
Reminds me of The Simpson's quote. Bart asks Homer what religion they are?
"I don't know son, one with all the good ideas that don't work in the real world.'


How is it that the simple act of watching a homeless man brush his hair cause me such an aching heart?
I recall that I wrote this outside a bar in Manhattan when I saw this guy and it did choke me up.
I've spent many years working hands on with homeless people in London so whilst never inured to their plight I am accustomed to the sights and smells, but this was different. Perhaps,  having lived in New York for two years the shine had for me come off the Big Apple and I was therefore more  aware of the underclass on the streets that went mostly ignored by those busy living the American dream.
Maybe as the saying goes in a land of illusion only the disillusioned are free. Maybe it is the harsh but I think fair self-evident truth that there is only one real commandment in America and that is  'thou shalt not be poor'.
I just know that this single act of personal grooming long after he had passed unkempt and was living in rags was this bittersweet beautiful, tiny, defiant act of self-determination. 

Squirrel Fishing - using a walnut on a string 
I'm kind of hoping that I actually saw someone in Central Park doing this but I don't think I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment