15.2.10

Notebook 14 Pg 192 et al

The Notes
  • I always think of Nietzsche as a philosophical Davros from Dr Who
  • "King Lear on the verge of madness says: 'I will do such things - what they are I know not - but they shall be the terror of the Earth'. This is Nietzsche's philosophy in a nutshell." Bertrand Russell
  • Notebook ends 25/01/02
  • Free to take your trousers off
  • Tell me I'll forget, show me I might remember, involve me and I'll learn
  • Experience = practical acquaintance
  • License to Think
  • Poltroon = spiritless coward
  • Delation = inform against 
  • Not the size of your boat but the length of your voyage

The Commentary

I always think of Nietzsche as a philosophical Davros from Dr Who
True and I still conflate the two when I see him or read anything he wrote. Then again I suspect that the man who created him had him in mind when he did

"King Lear on the verge of madness says: 'I will do such things - what they are I know not - but they shall be the terror of the Earth'. This is Nietzsche's philosophy in a nutshell." Bertrand Russell
I was so so glad when I read this. I have read a fair bit of Nietzsche's stuff, having surmounted his'do not understand me too quickly'dictum. To be honest there is an awful lot of the kind of bollocks you'd expect from an articulate, intelligent, frustrated, powerless man with a massive superiority complex.  Luckily you don't see many of them around nowadays...

Notebook ends 25/01/02
I then carry on for four more pages. I despair.

Free to take your trousers off
I think I was having a think about the relation between the rule of law versus the rules of convention. For example; armed bank robbers flout the law using violence and intimidation but they will not flout convention by doing the robbery whilst not wearing trousers. Why not?  They obviously do not care for society to such an extent that they  are wiling to kill innocent members of it why yet at the same time are anxious that those they would kill must not get a glimpse of their todger.

Tell me I'll forget, show me I might remember, involve me and I'll learn
A Japanese maxim for education which I think useful.


Experience = Practical acquaintance 
I think it was Sir Keith Joseph who was once heard to remark about his own policies 'I know it works in practice but does it work in theory?' 
Vis a vis nothing at all my Mum used to be a messenger at the Department for Education and Science when he was Minister, he used to let her go up and down in his special lift, (not a euphemism) 'he was lovely and kind' she would say of the man who gave us Thatcherism

License to think; provide instances, state your sources
I am unlicensed but i think I will just quote Bertrand Russell again 'Many's the man who would build a Utopia that he himself could not live within'

Poltroon = Spiritless coward
A word not in common parlance anymore

Delation = inform against
I have never heard this used by anyone yet it seems perfectly useful

Not size of your boat that counts but the length of your voyage
I can't for the life of me remember where the voyage was going but I know that there were 300 people on board traveling at 2mph (less than walking speed) for 9 months on a boat less than 200ft long. All very well but the impact is lost if I can't remember where they were going or who was doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment